Kidney stones are in the list of the most painful medical problems that a person may suffer from. When one is passing a kidney stone, the pain felt is more than you can imagine as it lasts between 20 to 60 minutes, Lemon juice is one of the popular ingredients that are used in making fresh lemonade, natural household cleaning recipes and different facial tonics. Researchers have discovered that the high source of natural citrates found in lemons can be used as a preventive therapy for people who have kidney stones. This therapy is commonly known as the “Lemonade Therapy”.
The main aim of Lemon therapy is to increase one’s intake of lemon juice in their diet. You can simply add a little sugar to the lemon or combine it with other natural ingredients so as to get the results that you need.
Even though lemon juice may support kidney health, it cannot be relied upon as a cure for kidney stones. The nutritional benefits that lemon juice has on the kidneys are the main driving force behind the protection against kidney stone development. However, lemon juice is still one of the most beneficial additions to the diet of any person who wishes to improve the health conditions of the kidneys.
Types of Kidney Stones
Before we can have a look at the benefits of lemon juice on stone development, we can examine the types of kidney stones that people are subjected to. The main factors behind the formation of kidney stones include:
- Calcium Oxalate
- Uric acid
Benefits of Lemon Juice for Kidney Health
Lemon juice contains both citric acid and ascorbic acid that gives vitamin c to the body. Citric acid is the main nutrient that is responsible for reducing the chances of getting calcium oxalate stones. This is made possible by reducing the acidity of urine thus reducing the formation of kidney stones.
Lemon juice can help in dissolving kidney stones through the following ways:
- Citrates contained in lemon juice inhibits the formation of calcium stones while also breaking down small stones that may end up combining into large stones
- Lemon juice breaks down kidney stones and dissolves them so that they can be easily passed from kidneys to the bladder in form of urine
- Has a natural antiseptic that is useful in preventing the growth of bacteria in your kidneys thus reducing the chances of getting kidney infections.
- Lemon juice keeps your body hydrated thus the urge to urinate frequently.
Ways to Use Lemon Juice for Kidney Stones Treatment
Lemon juice should be part of your diet if you have the desire to reduce the risk of getting kidney stones. In order for a person to easily pass stones, it is recommended that you take more fluids. You can make lemon juice at home by:
- Taking some fresh lemons and extracting the juice until you get about 4 ounces of the juice.
- Add this juice to about two liters of water and stir. To make it sweeter, you can decide to add sugar
- Drink the lemon water to reduce kidney stones and any pain associated with it. This should be done twice in a day, when you wake up and before you take dinner.
- You can also drink lemon juice together with other foods such as salad dressing, meat or fried foods
Lemon Juice and Apple Cider Vinegar
Apple cider vinegar has also been known to help in dissolving kidney stones. This is due to the citric acid that makes part of the nutrients in apple cider vinegar. The vinegar acts as a powerful internal cleanser that flushes your kidney to get rid of any stone that might be forming. You can come up with this mixture by:
- Mixing a tablespoon of lemon juice together with one tablespoon of apple cider vinegar
- Stir the mixture thoroughly and take it.
- Repeat taking the mixture and you will start seeing results within the first 24 hours.
Lemon Juice and Olive Oil
Taking a combination of olive oil and lemon juice will play a key role in curing kidney stones. Olive oil works by coating the narrow tubes that run from your kidneys to the ureter thus removing any stone available. On the other hand, lemon juice breaks the kidney stones that are formed. Here are two ways that you can use lemon juice and olive oil to prevent kidney stones.
- Mix a quarter cup of lemon juice with a quarter cup of olive oil and stir well.
- Take this mixture after which you can drink one cup of pure water.
- Repeat taking this mixture two or three times in a day until all the stones are removed.
- Mix about two ounces of olive oil with lemon juice and stir well before drinking. After taking the mixture, drink about 12 ounces of pure water.
- Wait for 30 minutes after which you can take a mixture of lemon juice and one tablespoon of Apple cider vinegar.
- Drink the mixture after every one hour until you start feeling better.
How Much Lemon Juice should you consume?
Taking two to four ounces of lemon juice in a single day will give you enough citric acid together with a variety of antioxidants and nutrients that are essential in supporting kidney health.
Purchasing bottled lemon juice is not advisable as they are pasteurized and thus do not have the vital nutrients and raw enzymes. Strive to consume lemon juice in its raw form by making it yourself. You can add it to smoothies, mix it with raw honey and hot water or even decide to make homemade lemonade by combining cold water with fresh juice.
You can also try taking foods that contain lemon such as beverages, sodas, and candies to speed up the treatment. Follow all the natural ways above and forget the pain that comes with kidney stones.